High Above the Clouds

Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Week 9: Thing 20 - YouTube

This has really taken me by surprise! I was familiar with YouTube, but never realized how many categories are actually on the site. (It's not all cutesy, comical videos, thank goodness!)

I browsed the "music" category and ran a couple of searches. Most of my favorite musicians were actually represented! As a result, I spent WAY too much time with this. I was astounded at the number of classical music clips (many historic) and was tempted to post several to my blog. But, I'll exercise some restraint and choose one: Anuna (an Irish choral group) performing Siuil A Ruin and The Rising of the Sun. Gorgeous stuff...and I will be hearing them in concert at the Lyric in December!!! Also worth checking out: Martha Argerich's award winning performance at the Chopin International Piano Competition in 1965: Chopin Scherzo #3 (one of my perennial favorites). She is nothing short of amazing. Also worth investigating: Mikhail Pletnev (another incredible pianist) and anything by Richard Thompson, one of the most charismatic songwriters and phenomenal guitarists working today.

Aaaaah...I'm in heaven!


1 comment:

Mama Otta said...

Hi Yvette

Congrats on finishing your Md 23! I know how little time you have!!! I enjoyed your U-tube selection. I believe I've seen them perform on Md.Public Tele. I also have enjoyed Andre Rieu, a Dutch Violinist. He is excellent, not to mention adorable to watch! xoxo me